Selling a property involves the basics of preparing the home and allowing access to potential buyers. When the property is still occupied by tenants, the process can become more complicated. Tenants in the middle of a move can find it difficult or even burdensome to keep the home in show-ready condition and allowing quick access to the home is certainly a disruption to their home life.
Fortunately, by following a few simple tips, you can minimize the impact on the current tenants while still selling the property for the best possible price and terms.
5 Tips to Selling a Home with Tenants
1. Communicate Early and Often – There is nothing complicated here, clear communication about the process and timing will alleviate the anxiety of the tenants. If
2. Offer Financial Incentives – Consider offering some kind of financial incentive for their cooperation in moving schedules and showing requests.
3. Create a Showing Schedule – Work with your tenants to create a window of time each day/week for showings to minimize impact.
4. Provide a Cleaning Service – Make it as easy as possible for the tenants to keep the home clean and show-ready.
5. Be Flexible and Understanding – Above all, be willing to compromise when necessary.